Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is the Bible the Perfect Word of God?

I have great difficulty accepting things without good reason and more and more, Christianity was asking me to defy logical understanding in order to accept things on faith. I have heard the argument (and had used it more than once myself) that science is also fraught with leaps of faith, and any scientist cannot discredit religion when they themselves accept things on faith on a daily basis. While this is absolutely true, there is quite a difference between the leaps of faith asked of a scientist and those asked of a Christian. For example, the basis of nearly all research is founded on proving statistical significance, meaning we can say with 95% certainty that the treatment has caused an effect and the difference demonstrated there was not random chance. It is impossible to prove without the shadow of a doubt that whatever effect you are testing occurring precisely because of your intervention and that it will behave exactly that way each time you intervene, but we must make that assumption in order to proceed through scientific method. Therefore, scientists are constantly making leaps of faith. However, this faith is based on logical conclusions and usually mountains of evidence; if twenty times in a row, when I exercise my heart rate increases, I will have faith that on the twenty first time the same change will occur.
Asking me to take the leap of faith that the Bible is the infallible inerrant word of God was an entirely different matter. It defies logic to presume that a collection of documents whom scholars cannot agree on authors or dates written, which have been translated into dozens of different languages and passed through treacherous Dark Ages in which the controlling and often abusive Catholic Church employed the only people who could read and write somehow made it thousands of years without a single mistake. That in all the different translations into English, each one completely presents God’s intended message.
I do understand the need for the infallibility of the Bible, the need to completely accept everything we have been handed, because without it, what do we have? I had hoped that maybe I could come to a place where mistranslations and forgeries were just a part of reading the Bible and I could just try to get the intended message without any real harm to my relationship with God, however that is no better than before. How do I know which parts are truly representative of what God was trying to say and what stories are true? I would be tempted just to write off anything disturbing or disagreeable as a mistranslation and create my version of the Bible to my liking. (I have a sneaking suspicion this is already the unconscious practice of many Christians). What if the true meaning is exactly the uncomfortable parts and some edited in the nice words to help us swallow a difficult message a little easier? Accepting God’s word as only partially true was an even more difficult proposition than throwing it out completely. I could only see two options; either the Bible, through some miracle not described within its contents, was the perfect word of God, or it was purely and totally a human product, another reference to the ancient world for historians and philosophers to pour over.
When I was little, my dad used to ask me, “What do you think would happen if an irresistible force met an immoveable object?” Granted, I was only ten at the time and had to ask him what an irresistible force and an immovable object were, but I always remembered that strange question and struggled until I found an answer. After much thought and many years of growing up, I finally said to him, “The two cannot co-exist. If there is such thing as an immovable object, then there is no such thing as an irresistible force.” And yet, here I am struggling with those two things at this very moment; the immoveable object o f the existence of God, and this new irresistible force of reason telling me the God I believed in for so long has too many holes to make sense anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment