Monday, April 19, 2010

Maybe Hope...


I think humans have an enormous capability for creating beauty, hope and wonder. Yes, we can be self absorbed, tripping over ourselves to push our way to the top, but sometimes there is something wonderful the emerges out of our unique humanity. We have the ability to see the world around us for what it could be, and are filled with compassion and desire to make it that way. For this reason, I have chosen not to hate religion. While some will take their religious documents and create dogmas and persecution, others will see life.


I just read a journal entry from a friend a have who is returning from India. She spent the last six months learning about human trafficking and has dedicated her life to find a way to make a difference... somehow. I was touched by her genuine love for the girls and women she met and how she passionately wants to love others for exactly who they are and without agenda. The standard she holds herself to is loving others the way Jesus loved.


Do I believe that the Bible is the word of God? No, I can't say that I do. Do I believe that Jesus really did and said all those things attributed to him, or even that all those things are good? No, probably not. What gives me hope, though, is my friend's ability to create the most beautiful compassionate selfless person from an ancient book and dedicate herself to becoming as close to that as she can. I will always support this type of religion; one that pledges to love all persons no matter their social standing, ethnicity or even beliefs. If this is the direction religion is going, count me in.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Religion is a human-made tool, designed for creating meaning and for dealing with the difficult circumstance of being alive. Where it is successful in validating human beings, encouraging compassion and bringing about a better world, religion is not my enemy. Where is discourages the search for truth and interferes with people realizing their full potential and living in positive relationship with the world around them, it needs to be confronted. But attacking religion just for the sake of attacking religion is counterproductive to bringing about a world of goodness and reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding good things about religion is also necessary to my social and emotional health at the moment; all of my family and many of my close friends are strong Christians and I haven't "come out of the closet" to anyone just yet. I need to hold onto hope that we can all co exist in authentic and meaningful ways.

    ReplyDelete